General Staff Building
Place: Palace Square On the map
Construction time: 1819-1829
Architect: Carlo Rossi
Notable features: Facade length is about 600 m, arch of the building is surmounted by a bronze chariot of Glory.
What it was in the old days: the General Headquarters of the Russian Army (the General Staff) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs were situated there.
What it is nowadays: The headquarters of the Leningrad Military District. The left part of the building is used for the expositions of the State Hermitage museum.
Interesting fact: The rooms of the Headquarters are closed to the visitors. But few people know that the main ceremonial hall can be seen in the film “007: Golden Eye.” Shooting were allowed by the personal approval of Anatoly Sobchak, the first and the only mayor of St. Petersburg.