Name Origin: The Trinity Church, where was the funeral of Peter the Great, is located on the square.
Interesting facts: the center of St. Petersburg of the Peter the Great epoch was situated here: The Trinity Church, the first Gostiny Dvor, the first collegiums building (ministries), the first city port. That is why the island with the Trinity Square was originally called «The City» or «St. Petersburg». In 1914, Russia entered the First World War. Russia was fighting against Germany, Austria-Hungary, and other German-speaking countries. The German name “Saint-Petersburg” was replaced by Russian “Petrograd”. Although, after the death of Lenin in 1924 the city was renamed Leningrad and in 1991, following a referendum, the historical name “St. Petersburg” was returned. The island’s name remains “Petrogradsky”.
St. John Bridge – the oldest of 300 bridges of St. Petersburg.
Walls of Peter and Paul Fortress – one of the best fortifications that had ever fired their weapons at an enemy at all.
The State Hermitage Museum – the largest museum of Russia and the fourth largest museum in the world. The Hermitage complex consists of five connected buildings; four of them are visible from the embankment:
- Winter Palace – the main residence of the Russian emperors
- Small Hermitage – this building gave the name “Hermitage” for the whole museum complex.
- Old Hermitage – among other masterpieces, it houses the only paintings of Leonardo da Vinci in Russia.
- Hermitage Theatre – private theater of Catherine the Great.
Palaces of the Grand Dukes – the residences of uncrowned Romanovs.
Troitsky Bridge – the only bridge in St. Petersburg, under which the plane has ever flown.
Chapel – the building indicating the location of Trinity Church, which was blown up in Stalin’s time.
Mosque – the main mosque of the city, it is over 100 years old.