John Bridge

Иоанновский мост

Place: Trinity Square On the map

Construction time: 1706
Памятник зайцу у Иоанновского мостаName Origin: The bridge was named after John, Peter the Great’s brother. Officially, Peter reigned with him at the same time for 14 years (1682-1696).

Remarkable features: This is the first bridge in St. Petersburg, the “grandfather” of more than 300 existing bridges of the city.

Interesting fact: In 2003, the monument of the hare appeared in front of the bridge. The sculpture of the hare was placed there because the Peter and Paul’s fortress was constructed on the Hare Island. The island was called so long time before the foundation of the city, probably because of the abundance of hares in the surrounding areas.

 


Comments:

Leave a Comment