Chapel on place of the Trinity Church
Place: Troitskaya (Trinity) Square
Construction time: 2003
Architect: “Iak” architect bureau
Interesting fact: The chapel marks the place where one of the first churches of our city was situated. On this place, Russia became an Empire, because Peter the Great solemnly proclaimed himself emperor in 1721 in the Trinity Church. The occasion for the ceremony was the victory in a long war with Sweden for the Baltic lands. To the point, Peter the Great built the Peter and Paul’s fortress to defend these lands from Sweden. The word “emperor” is originally latin: this was the name for a victorious commander, who succeed to come back with a triumph.
Video: Reconstruction of the Trinity Church, a fragment of the film “Petrine Petersburg”.