Guard House (Hauptwache)
Place: Peter and Paul Fortress On the map
Construction time: 1748-1749, 1906-1907
Architect: V.F. Asmus
Name: The German word “Hauptwache” means “chief guard”. This was a military prison where the arrested officers and soldiers of the fortress garrison were kept.
Our days: The administration of St. Petersburg Museum of History is located here nowadays. Funnymen notice that the director and his subordinates are in the position of constantly punished soldiers.
Interesting fact: The square in front of Guardhouse is called “The Dance Square”. Here, in the XVIII century was the “roost” – the pole with sharp needles around it. The soldiers, who had done something bad, were tied to this pole, and the pain them to move their feet (to dance).